- Q: What is the Friends E-mail List?
A: The E-mail List is a "mass mail" e-mail relaying program for Friends Members. Using the list, any Friends member can send an e-mail message to all other members of the list.
- Q: How do I send a message to the list?
A: Send it just like any other e-mail message: address it to Refuge-Friends@googlegroups.com. You may add attachments if you wish, but be aware that some members may have set their spam filters to block attachments.
- Q: How do I reply to a message I receive from the list if I want to have the reply sent to the entire list?
A: Click "REPLY ALL"; then verify that the "TO" address line of your reply message includes the list address Refuge-Friends@googlegroups.com. The "TO" address line may contain other addresses as well; you may delete them if you wish.
- Q: How do I reply to a message I receive list the list if I want to have the reply sent only to the original sender?
A: Click "REPLY"; then verify that the desired address appears in the "TO" address line of your reply message.
- Q: I can receive messages from the list but I can't send a message to the list. When I try to send a message, I receive a message that says I'm not authorized. Why?
A: Probably because you have two e-mail addresses, and you're trying to use the wrong one. If you wish to send a message to the list, you must use the same e-mail address that the list uses. If you don't know which address the list uses, open a message that you have received from the list and note the address in the "TO" address line.
If you have a Brazosport College address, note that you actually have two e-mail addresses:
If you get a "not-authorized" message when sending from one of these addresses, try the other one.
- Q: How do I view the archive of past messages?
A: Go to http://groups.google.com/group/Refuge-Friends?hl=en.
- Q: How do I find the e-mail address of another Friends member?
A: E-mail addresses for officers and members of the Board are posted here. For e-mail addresses of other Friends members, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Q: I'm a member of the Friends, but I've never received any messages from the list. Why?
A: There are three possible reasons:
- Your e-mail address may not be registered with the list. Please notify email@example.com, and we will add your address to the list.
- Your "subscription type" may be set to "no email" (a setting that allows you to send messages to the list and to view the archive, but does not send every message to you). If you wish to change your subscription type, please contact Neal McLain at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your spam filter may be blocking mail from the list. Your spam filter must pass the address of every chapter member.
- Q: I don't wish to receive messages from the list. Can I remove my e-mail address?
A: Send a blank e-mail message to Refuge-Friendsemail@example.com. Leave the subject line and the body of the message blank.
- Q: I don't have an e-mail address, but I have internet access at the Library. Can I still read list messages?
A: Yes. Simply go to http://groups.google.com/group/Refuge-Friends?hl=en.
- Q: Why is it sometimes called an "E-mail List," and sometimes called a "Google Group"?
A: Google hosts the list, and they call it a "group." However, "E-mail List" is a generic term for the same thing. Google provides the service to us at no charge; in exchange for providing this free service, Google places "sponsored links" (an unobtrusive form of advertising) on the archived-messages page. For further information about Google groups, click here.